The National Agency for Standardization, Metrology and Quality Control (ANM) is responsible for the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of national policy for standardization, metrology, certification, product verification and the promotion of quality.
The agency supports goods and service providers to meet the challenges of competitiveness, attain sustainable economic growth, and in the protection of consumers and all other interested parties, all in accordance with the laws and regulations of Benin and with internationally accepted quality standards.
As such, it is responsible to:
- Ensure the implementation of national quality policy;
- Ensure the establishment of a consultation framework for all teams working toward standardization, metrology, and quality promotion;
- Ensure the functioning of the sectoral technical committees for standardization and certification;
- Establish, in a timely manner, ad hoc technical committees that will lead the work of developing standards in case of failure of a sectoral technical committee in a certain area of activity;
- Coordinate the development of voluntary Beninese standards and technical regulations;
- Have Beninese standards approved and disseminated;
- Ensure the promotion, adoption, and voluntary use of standards;
- Ensure the functioning of the national standardization and quality management system;
- Suggest compulsory standards to public authorities;
- Implement a national product certification system with a national conformity mark and support businesses and other with system certification;
- Conduct benchmarking activities with a view to evaluating the compliance of products to current technical standards and regulations;
- Inform, train, support and advise on matters related to standardization, metrology, certification, and accreditation support;
- Ensure Benin is represented in regional and international bodies and fora for standardization, metrology, certification, and accreditation together with sectoral structures;
- Ensure a bridge to international organizations for standardization, metrology, certification, and accreditation boards;
- Ensure the technical secretariat for standardization in UEMOA, ECOWAS and other regional and international standardization bodies according to their needs;
- Coordinate measures to facilitate the application of standardization and, in general, encourage its development in Benin ;
- Commission a variety of expertise with a view to arbitrating any dispute relating to measurement procedures, measurement instruments and quantities measured.
- Popularise and promote the use of international system of units;
- Promote the quality and reliability of products, goods and services as well as the environment;
- Support services and enterprises in the public and private sectors in monitoring production processes; during import operations and product marketing; and the use of measuring instruments, household appliances and industrial and sanitary equipment.